The family on Cedar Lane Farm

The family on Cedar Lane Farm
These are the people I love! That's my sweet mama in the middle. I wonder what she's thinking.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back to Skool

School starts here next week.  We live in a pretty poor county here in Missouri, and a lot of our families depend on assistance.  Traditionally, our county has held a "back to school fair" of sorts, whereby children of low income families can get free school supplies.  Well, this year with budget cuts, the "fair" was part of the cuts that the county had to make.

So, I challenged my church family to purchase $20  in school supplies.  I emailed everyone that I could think of, attached the school supply list which was on the school website and made the challenge. I promised that I would deliver the supplies to the school a couple of days prior to school starting.  Within minutes, I started receiving email replies.  "I accept your challenge!" or "Count me in!"  and even "I am mailing you my check, you do my shopping!".  I couldn't believe the results! 

This week, my Sunday School classroom (which is where I asked them to deliver their supplies) was filling up with bags and bags of pencils, glue, paper, rulers, backpacks........ 

I'm not telling you this to "toot my own horn".  I'm telling you this in hopes that you will do something for someone in need.  The need is great.  As Christians, we should not just talk the talk, but rather walk the walk.  If you are able, give.  Inspire others to give.  Most of the time, people are looking for a way to give.  But, they don't know what to do.  By only asking, my church family has really come through.  I will be so proud to make that delivery to the school! 

Other things you can do; Take dinner to an elderly couple who might be struggling with their health.  Go visit someone who is lonely.  Mail a letter to an inmate, be an encourager. 

Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment