The family on Cedar Lane Farm

The family on Cedar Lane Farm
These are the people I love! That's my sweet mama in the middle. I wonder what she's thinking.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Keeping cool on a Hot Summer day!

Keeping farm animals cool in weather like this (100 degrees +) is difficult.  My Jersey cow, Cinnamon, looks for shade, manure piles, the best breeze.  The past week has been brutal on her.  This morning, while watering my garden, I noticed Cinnamon hanging around the sprinkler.  I got close to it and realized that the cool mist, along with a gentle breeze, was refreshing her senses!  So, when my garden was nice and watered, I moved the sprinkler over by her favorite shady spot and turned it on!  She hesitated for a second, and then just stood there, basking in the coolness of the experience. 

I set her up 30 minutes ago, and she hasn't moved a muscle.  I think she deserves that sprinkler for a while anyway, considering all the love she gives to us every morning at 7:00 am.  The weather is supposed to "give" in a day or so, and I'll pamper my sweet cow til then. 

Niko, on the other hand, is having no trouble staying cool.  He's in the house, every day, napping away in the 75 degree A/C.  What a life!




Take care of yourselves during this hot time of year.  Think snow!  Then, slap yourself really fast! 

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Your cow must have really been happy when those sprinklers were on him. I had a dog named Cinnamon when I was a little girl. We are Southern California girls, so we get the hot weather often. It hasn't been 100 yet though where we live. Your garden looks great. Have a beautiful week.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete