The family on Cedar Lane Farm

The family on Cedar Lane Farm
These are the people I love! That's my sweet mama in the middle. I wonder what she's thinking.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cherry Pickin

My day began at 5:30.  The orchard will let you in at 7:00, and it's an hour's drive from home.  I brushed my teeth as the coffee brewed and then dressed in my worn out overalls and a tank.  My sweet mom and I were to meet a high school friend of mine in town at 6:30.  We made it on time and headed to the orchard.  By 6:30, it was already hot and humid, but we were excited to pick our cherries; red, tart and perfect for pies.

We arrived at the orchard about an hour or so after we started our journey and it was a beautiful place.  They had cherry trees, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and peach trees.  We picked for a little more than an hour and then headed home.  I was anxious to be home, so I could get the cherries pitted, washed and canned.  I make pies all year long, so these will taste so good this winter.

On our way back, we stopped at a farmer's market, just opening for the season.  I bought some chocolate mint and two loaves of bread.  I know those families work hard to try and make a little extra income on the weekend, so I supported them.  I do make my own bread often.  I have a fantastic recipe for whole wheat. 


So, four hours later, I pulled the last four pint jars of red, tart pitted cherries out of the water bath canner and set them to cool.  This is the first time canning cherries for me, so I have figured out I need to pack them tighter.  They float to the top and I have a lot of space on the bottom of the jar.....lesson learned.  But, I've posted a couple of photos of my prize for the day.  These cherries, cooling on my dining room table, are the first of many canning sessions in this kitchen.  By summer's end, my basement pantry will be stocked once again with fruits, jams, and vegetables that will lovingly nourish my family for the next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment