The family on Cedar Lane Farm

The family on Cedar Lane Farm
These are the people I love! That's my sweet mama in the middle. I wonder what she's thinking.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Club

When we were little, my mother used to go "to club" each month with all the other little old ladies.  In "club", they met, ate, had a meeting, raised money from selling cotton candy at the Harvest Festival parade, and other old-lady stuff like that.  "Club" is a county Extension group of local women, and now I are one of the "club ladies". 

I joined "club" nearly 3 years ago, because my mother (now 81) was becoming very uncomfortable driving at night, and she asked me to take her and join.  Now, 3 years later, I attend the monthly "club" meetings and I transport myself, my mother and aunt.  It's a hoot!  I'm the baby in "club". 

Last night, after calling the meeting to order, reviewing and approving the minutes and treasurer's report, we read the Club Collect, aloud and in unison.

Keep us, oh God, from pettiness; let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
Let us be done with fault-finding and leave off self-seeking.
May we put away all pretense and meet each other face to face, without self-pity and without prejudice.  May we be never be hasty in judgement and always generous.
Let us take time for all things; make us to grown calm, serene, gentle.
Teach us to put into action our better impulses, straightforward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realize it is the little things that create differences, that in the big things of life we are as one.
And may we strive to touch and to know the great common human heart of us all, and oh, Lord God, let us not forget to be kind!  (Mary Stewart).

This is why I enjoy "club".  These older, mature ladies have taught me a lot about grace, love, patience, and the right way to grow old.  These ladies are the very best of our community, always looking for someone to help, something to support, some way to earn money and sharing their best recipies!

So, as my children poke fun at me for going to "club", I just smile at them the same way my sweet mother use to smile at us. 

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment