The family on Cedar Lane Farm

The family on Cedar Lane Farm
These are the people I love! That's my sweet mama in the middle. I wonder what she's thinking.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

We're getting close!

Again, I jumped right up about 5:30 this morning, started my coffee and proceeded to go check on Sweetie.  She's due to have her calf on June 20th, (the same date our 24 eggs are supposed to hatch), and I'm very excited and anxious about it.  I also hope to avoid things such as difficult birth, mastitis, etc.  I'm hopeful that all will go well.   


Upon opening the barn door, she was lying down, chewing her cud and swatting flies with her tail.  She was very comfortable, cool and happy.  It was around 68 degrees this morning and she was loving it.  Soon, however, the temperatures will rise to the high 90s.  I gave her the normal generous scoop of feed, rubbed her nose and told her that I'd be hanging out the wash in a little bit.  We talked a bit about the hens that graze alongside her and Shirley in the pasture, which she doesn't seem to mind at all.   She's getting close.  Her bag is about to burst, or it seems.  And other signs are begining to appear.

                                                 


So, we wait......................

John gave the coop a good dusting last night with sevin dust, after the hens were on their roost.  Let's face it.  These are birds, they get cooties too.  So, this morning when I let them out for the day, they flew out with little poofs of dust flying off of them.  I'm sure they feel better.  They followed me around while I filled their water can, Sweetie's water trough and hung up the laundry.  I enjoyed our conversations.  I'm sure they did too. 

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment